Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Buttery Balsamic Pasta and Asparagus

We recently had this meal and it was delicious!  And since asparagus is in season and abundant at our farmer's market I want to make it again soon.  The website I found the recipe at is a freezer cooking website and we did freeze the meal and eat it.  It was good which is why I'm posting the recipe but I think it would be even better to just make it and eat it right away.  So, if you follow the link above you'll find freezing directions but I say just cook and eat.  So, here's my version of the recipe (not much changed at all).


Ingredients:

  • 1 bunch asparagus
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons salt, divided
  • .5 teaspoons pepper, divided
  • .5 cups balsamic vinegar, plus 2 tablespoons
  • .5 teaspoons brown sugar
  • 1 pound whole wheat penne (or similarly shaped pasta)
  • .5 cups butter, cut into pieces
  • .33 cups grated Parmesan cheese (plus extra for serving)
  • 2 cups cooked chicken, chopped (I liked the chicken in this dish but it would still be good if you left it out)
  • .33 cups pine nuts, toasted (can toast at the same time as step one below just watch closely because oven will be a little hotter)

Directions:

  • Remove tough ends from asparagus and cut spears into 1 inch pieces. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees for about 10 minutes or until tender.
  • Meanwhile, cook penne al dente according to package directions and set aside. 
  • While pasta cooks, cook vinegar down in a small sauce pan until only about 1/4 of original amount remains. Stir in brown sugar and pepper. Remove from heat. 
  • Toss drained pasta with butter, Parmesan, vinegar mixture, asparagus, chicken, pine nuts, and salt. Serve with extra grated Parmesan cheese.

1 comment:

  1. This sounds amazing. You can invite me over any time you make it :)

    ReplyDelete