
I received the book "Forgotten God", by Francis Chan, for Christmas and I read it just after the new year. I hadn't read any of Chan's writing before and I was pleased to find that he wrote in a very user-friendly but challenging way. I found him to be authentic and fresh in the way he talked about how we as Christians need to depend on God and live by the Holy Spirit. I appreciated the biblical references that were littered in the main points he presented. I walked away from the book with a convicted heart wanting to surrender more to God and to let the Holy Spirit have control in my life. I would recommend this book to anyone who is open to being challenged in their walk with God. Here are some of my favorite quotations from the book:
"For some reason, we don't think we need the Holy Spirit. We don't expect the Holy Spirit to act. Or if we do, our expectations are often misguided or self-serving."
"If it's true that the Spirit of God dwells in us and that our bodies are the Holy Spirit's temple, then shouldn't there be a huge difference between the person who has the Spirit of God living inside of him or her and the person who does not?"
"[The Holy Spirit] assures us that we are in right standing with and loved by God. He guarantees believers of the gift of new life in Christ. He assures us that we have nothing to fear because we are His children and He is powerful. He tells us that we are accepted, fully and unconditionally."
"I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through."
"What disturbs me most is when we're not really bothered that God living in us has not made much of a noticeable difference."
No comments:
Post a Comment