For the first time in 2.5 years we only own one house and it feels good! We have had a great situation over the last 2 years with excellent renters who have taken care of the house and always pay on time. It has worked our really well because the rent they paid has covered all but the fairly low property taxes. Since we had a 15 year mortgage on the house too the rent was helping build up our equity. Finally, our old house was being managed by a property management company so it really didn't cause us any hassle.
Anyway sometime in the spring our renters informed us that they weren't going to renew their lease (which ended September 1st). We tossed the idea around of putting our house back on the market but didn't know what to do if it sold and our renters still had a lease. We didn't think anyone would be interested in waiting around to move in when they could literally buy a house down the street that was exactly the same and move in whenever they wanted. Fortunately after talking to our renters we realized they were willing to move out whenever if we sold the house. It was a win-win situation because we figured we could put the house on the market and if it didn't sell by August just get a new renter without losing a month's rent.
Honestly at this point I was trying really hard not to get my hopes up. I just thought it would be so nice not to own two houses. It hasn't been a financial hardship but we also aren't interested in having rental properties. A second house is just an extra burden to worry about. We had several people interested in our house and finally one man was really interested. We didn't hear from him for a couple of weeks but long story short his offer on the house across the street like ours fell through and he decided to put an offer on our house. We didn't haggle much and settled on a number fairly quickly (he got a great deal).
After we settled on a number and got back a positive inspection we felt like this sale might actually happen. We've been so nervous it would fall through that we haven't even celebrated. Finally this morning we had our closing. That went ok but there was one missing piece of paperwork so even when the closing was over it wasn't really over. Again we couldn't really celebrate. Finally at 2:00 this afternoon the rest of the paperwork was signed and we got a check making the sale of our house official!
I thought I'd add a couple pictures of the house when we lived in it. I feel like I never really got to say goodbye since in theory I could always go back while we still owned it even if I wasn't living in it. One thing I loved about the house is even though it was only 1000 square feet and it started out with just me, then Matt moved in, then Grace moved in it never felt small to me. I wanted more space when I knew we were going to have Caleb but I never called it small. It was like it had moveable walls. I loved that place. What a blessing it was!
 |
| View from the front |
 |
| All in one - kitchen, dining room, office, living room |
 |
| Looking back at the kitchen |
 |
| Originally office/guest room turned into Grace's room |
 |
| Master bedroom |
We loved that house too. Congrats on getting it sold!!
ReplyDelete