For the first time ever I heard the dentist utter the word cavity to me.
After spectacular dental health (even after taking a 5 year break from the dentist a few years ago) I can no longer claim that I've never had a cavity. I'm so bummed and feel like I did something wrong. This cavity does nothing for my perfectionist tendencies. It hurts my pride.
But, after further reflection I've realized that a cavity is probably not something I should fret about. I'm thankful for dental insurance, for access to dental care and for the ability to take care of the problem long before if becomes a big problem.
I'm a little nervous about getting the filling (although the dentist said that it will be minor). I figure if I can survive childbirth (twice) I can handle a filling. Please don't comment with any dental horror stories or I will not speak to you ever again.
Time to shop for an electric toothbrush because according to my dentist that can immensly benefit my dental health. When he first told me that I didn't care becuase I though my teeth were indestructible. Today, I think buying the toothbrush is a good plan.

Trust me, a filling is nothing. This is coming from a person who is a wuss when it comes to doctors/dentists/etc.
ReplyDeleteAlso, Amy and I bought a Sonicare a few years ago. My hygienist said that my gums are much healthier and my teeth are looking good. They are a little pricey compared to a regular toothbrush, but I would rather pay a little now then pay later with teeth issues.
Oh, Anne! I can totally relate after receiving my first filling a couple years ago. Devastating to my pride... pretty sure that that was part of God's plan ;) Anyway, it really wasn't a big deal in the end, not even painful. Yes, I probably drooled. But really the worst part was hearing the news in the first place. You'll do great!
ReplyDeleteI know exactly how you must feel. I have a sense of pride for never having had a cavity either, but after reading your post, I wonder if my turn is coming!
ReplyDelete