Monday, May 16, 2011

Caleb - 2 Months Old



Happy 2 months to Caleb! We had a great month and I really feel like I'm getting to know this little guy.

Eating: Caleb is still a champion nurser. At the very beginning of this month he started waking up only once at night so he dropped one of his nursing times and was down to eating only 7 times a day. In the last week he has dropped another one a few times so he's eaten only 6 times a day several times. Although right at 6 weeks Caleb had a growth spurt and ate an extra time during the day for a couple days.

Another great accomplishment on the eating front is Caleb takes a bottle! Grace was never great at this feat so it is amazing to be able to leave or bring a bottle of pumped milk out if I don't feel like nursing Caleb wherever we are going. At this point he is getting about 2 bottles a week and I think I'll try to continue to make that happen. It is very freeing and I'm glad that it is working out.

Sleeping: Caleb is dong a great job sleeping. His awake time has extended during the day so his naps aren't quite as long as they used to be. He takes about one long (2+ hour) nap a day and 2-3 other naps that range from 45-90 minutes. These aren't super predictable yet. I'm looking forward to getting him on a good nap schedule in a month or 2 when he is ready for it.

He is also doing well at night. About mid-month we recognized he was getting really tired at around 7:30 or 8 so we started putting him down for bed then. Then I wake him up and feed him before I go to bed (usually around 10). And then he wakes once up to eat whenever he wants before morning. In the last week he's actually made it until 5:30 or 6:00 a few times and even 6:45 this morning. I'm really hoping that becomes a habit.

Playing: Caleb is getting a lot more social now too. He loves to smile and has adorable dimples. He also giggles and coos a lot now especially right after eating. He's so happy and full:) I can tell that Caleb is more interested in looking at toys and things farther across the room. He also really likes to look at himself in the mirror.

1 Month Appointment: Because our doctor is so busy we had our 1 month appointment at 6 weeks so I'll give you that update now. His 2 month appointment isn't for another 2 weeks so I'll give that update next month. Caleb was 12 lbs and 6 oz. (89th percentile) at his appointment. I don't remember his height or head circumference but the both were around the 50th percentile.

Our doctor also noticed he was still a little yellow so he had to get some blood work done to test his billirubin levels. Apparently, breastfed babies can remain jaundice for up to 3 months and this is completely normal. Thankfully his blood work came back fine and he his one of the normal babies that have breastmilk jaundice.

No comments:

Post a Comment