Monday, January 5, 2009

Lunch Duty?

For those of you who don't know the story here is the low down. At my school we get one semester with 2 free periods and one semester with a duty and a free period. Most of the time the duty is study hall in your classroom. This is slightly annoying because you have to supervise kids but overall it is not that big of a deal. You can grade papers, work on lesson plans, work at your computer etc. My first year teaching I had a study hall in my classroom, my second year teaching I had lunch duty, and my third year I had study hall in the auditorium 4th hour. Let me tell you, lunch duty was not fun. I had to supervise teenagers eating lunch for 64 minutes everyday. Yuck! But, I really worked hard at putting in my time without complaining too much because I knew everyone had to do it sometime. Well then things got annoying...not much happened with schedules so when I had 4th hour free again last year I was worried I would get lunch duty. Thank goodness I didn't but I had to supervise an 80 person study hall in the auitorium that was 30 min., lunch and then 30 more min. So, I had to take attendance twice, calm the kids down twice and be super strict. I liked it better than lunch duty but it was still the 2nd worst duty I could have had.

After putting in 2 bad years of duties I was really hoping this year would be better. Well in August when the schedules came out I had lunch duty again. What?! Not only was I annoyed because of lunch duty (someone else needed a turn) I was sick and miserable because of being pregnant. The last thing I could handle was school food, being on my feet and morning (all-day) sickness. Thankfully a co-worker of mine switched with me so I could do it 2nd semester. The bright side was I would only have half the semester of duty because of my maternity leave and I wouldn't be as sick. The down side was I'd be 6 months pregnant and growing at the start of lunch duty. Well, here is where the story gets good. Another co-worker of mine volunteered to give me his study hall and take my lunch duty so I wouldn't have to be on my feet for 64 extra minutes a day. And the study hall is even going to be in my classroom. I can work on sub plans and be seated at my desk for that extra time. I didn't even have to ask either. I just am so grateful that God provided me with this kind person who took me into consideration. It might seem like a silly thing to you readers but it is a big deal to me. I've been praying about this situation and God has answered it in the best way possible.

So the answer to my question Lunch Duty? is not this year!

1 comment:

  1. What a blessing!! The best part is that it sounds like a man switched you out, someone who has no idea what it is like to be 6 months pregnant and not desire swollen feet, ankles, legs, fingers, you get the point. Kudos to Mr. Consideration, I am glad God put him in your path.

    ReplyDelete