Thursday, October 11, 2007

My Collection of Busts

When Matt mentioned our G.W. bust in his last post it inspired me to start posting about my bust collection. Bust: a sculptured, painted, drawn, or engraved representation of the upper part of the human figure, esp. a portrait sculpture showing only the head and shoulders of the subject.

My piano teacher used to give composer busts to me as a prize if I played well for about 6 months in a row (she was pretty strict). But, after getting my drivers license I realized that I could go to The Music Shoppe and buy my own busts. So, much to my mom's chagrin, I started buying busts whenever I got a chance. I think the fact I displayed them proudly on the piano in our living room was a little tacky for her. About a year ago I moved the busts from my parents' house to my place and they have been enjoying life in Champaign a great deal. I thought this blog would be a great place to document what all 14 (15 if you count G.W. seen below) have been up to in Champaign. So, I will start with G.W. and continue from there...

Bust #1: George Washington
Birthday: February 22, 1732
Most Known For: 1st President of the U.S.A.
Favorite Activity: Greeting people who come to visit us
Fun Fact: Five states were added to the Union during Washington's presidency - North Carolina (1789), Rhode Island (1790), Vermont (1791), Kentucky (1792), and Tennesee (1796).

3 comments:

  1. I have a feeling this is going to be quite humorous as the "adventures of the busts" continues...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite thing about your mom's distaste for the busts was the time we spread them all around her kitchen (in the cabinets, fridge, etc)...she was NOT pleased when she discovered them the next morning (I love you, Cathie). I think we also made a fake cigarette and taped it the mouth of a duck thing (was it a paper towel holder?) she had on display...

    Also, does this mean you want more big busts? I might be able to find the Lincoln one that was at the store where I got the Washington one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a crapload of busts. If I find them, do you want them?

    ReplyDelete