Here is how a normal conversation goes when my car-ignorant self takes the Kia Sephia in to get some work done:Mechanic: "Yeah, so it looks like your X part will need to be replaced. We can take care of that."
Me: "Wow, that's bad. I was hoping it wouldn't be the X part." (Even though I don't know what an X does or why it's important.)
Mechanic: "So that will cost $Z."
Me: "Hmmm...well, this could have significant consequences, so let's go ahead and do it." (Even though I don't know what the consequences are).
Mechanic: "OK, great. I think you're making a really smart decision. Real good decision."
Me: "Thanks." (The momentary pride I have about my good decision is overshadowed by the revelation that my decision was not based on any concrete information.)
Now usually I will take time to look on the internet to compare prices for parts to make sure I'm not being overcharged. But in all reality, I am an idiot when it comes to cars. I can recognize the names of the parts of a car, but I'm not sure I could point them out nor tell you exactly what those parts do.
Thankfully, people write books to help people like me. The book, "Auto Repair for Dummies", was recommended by a close confidant and I am going to use it to educate myself in the way of the automobile.
No comments:
Post a Comment