Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Jane's Placemats

A month later I finally got the pictures of my last Christmas sewing project off of my camera!  So here it is:)  As I was making quilts for my sister and brother in laws I was thinking about how I wanted to make something for my mother-in-law (and father-in-law) too.  So I started thinking about placemats because I know how much I love placemats (especially quilted ones).  I found a few tutorials and started thinking about fabrics when my mom pointed out that I had plenty of beautiful fabric leftover from my quilts that I could easily make placemats out of.  I was sold because I was already so in love with the fabrics I had been using and couldn't wait to use it more!

The problem was I really didn't know how to make placemats out of the scraps.  Enter in another one of my moms fabulous ideas/lessons in sewing.  She suggested I use a quilt as you go method to make them.  I did better following my mom's instructions but if you are a seamstress and think you'd be interested in making placemats like this check out this tutorial it's the best I've found.

The placemats were easy but since I was learning something new and I made 8 of them they did take longer than I expected.  So needless to say I was finishing them up at the last minute.  But I loved them when they were done and wanted to keep them for myself.  I can't wait to use this method again to whip up some more placemats in the future.

Enjoy my pictures:)

Blue and green placemats
Close up of blue and green with picture of back
Red and brown placemats including a close up so you can see the back






1 comment: