Friday, August 12, 2011

My Favorite Food Experiences

In light of the horrible stories about the famine happening in the Horn of Africa I have been thinking a lot about food lately.  I am so thankful that I have never ever in my whole life had to go hungry.  I practice preventative eating which means planning and eating ahead of time so I never am hungry.  I am so blessed that I can do this.  I don't deserve this life that God has given me!

Just thinking about how fortunate I am to have always had food on my plate has reminded me of some of my favorite eating experiences.  You can assume I went away from every experience stuffed!  So, in no particular order here are the top 10.

1. Chinese tacos. When I spent the summer in China I had some wonderful meals.  One of my favorites was with a Chinese student.  She took me to this restaurant that she loved.  The best way to describe it was we made Chinese tacos.  We had bowls of meat and vegetables that we pilled high on tortilla shells.

2.  German breakfast. When I lived in Germany I often went to a little cafe called the Uni Cafe and had a delicious breakfast called the Yale.  It consisted of bread, cheese, and fruit.

3. Pad Thai in Switzerland.  Matt and I traveled to Europe in 2008 and we able to spend some time in Switzerland.  We read about this off the beaten track Thai restaurant in Interlaken and set off to find it.  The food didn't disappoint!

4. Authentic Korean. This one I will never forget.  My dear friend Tasha's mom had a Korean restaurant and made dinner for a group of us at the restaurant one evening.  I honestly can't remember why we were all together (maybe because none of this group had kids at the time and travel was easy) but I do remember eating tons of yummy Korean food.

5. Pizza in Pisa.  While living in Germany I was able to visit Pisa with the same group of people that I ate Tasha's mom's food with.  We went to this awesome pizza place.  The pizza was long and as big as the table and the pieces were droopy.  You had to roll them up to eat them.  My mouth is watering just thinking about that pizza.

6. Coffee Steak at a local joint.  When my friend Emily got married she had her rehearsal dinner at a local nice restaurant.  I'm pretty sure we had a few choices and I will never regret the choice I made.  I had a coffee marinated steak.  I'm pretty sure it just melted in my mouth.  I have been back to the restaurant a few times since then but have never ordered the same meal.  I think I just want to associate it with Emily's wedding.

7.  My mom's lasagna.  I've never had better lasagna than my mom's and I never remember being less than excited about it when it was on the menu.  I still love to eat it and love to make it myself.

8. McDonald's.  What post about food written by me would not be complete without a mention of McDonald's.  When I was 18 months old I could eat a whole cheeseburger and fries from McDonald's.  Now I think I could eat multiple sandwiches but I don't because it does upset my stomach and I try to be somewhat healthy.  I have so many memories of eating McDonald's after soccer, while working there, in college, on road trips, and while pregnant that I have to include it as a top food experience.

9. Couples Negril Food.  Matt and I were able to spend our honeymoon in Jamaica and while I loved the beach and resort I think I would go back for the food. We had huge breakfast buffets, constant snacks, yummy and varied lunches and dinners so it's hard to pick one good meal from it.  I think my favorite thing though was the breakfast.

10. Dinner from the R family.  After Grace was born a family from our church brought us dinner one evening.  It was awesome.  Warren's family is from the Philippines so I'm assuming the food is Philippino fare but if not it's Asian. O my it was good.  I still think about dinner that night over 2 years ago.

Some honorable mentions: The H family Heaven Cookies, most food people brought us after each baby arrived, Jerusha's cooking, M County Fair porkburgers, What was the name of the restaurant I went to with Sonya and Jerusha in Philly? It was amazing, Authentic Philly Cheesteak, and Mike W's chili made by Gina (and myself since I stole the recipe)

Again, I am so thankful that I've never known what it means to go hungry.  I've eaten a lot of good food in my life.

Next food post? My Least Favorite Food Experiences

No comments:

Post a Comment