A couple of weeks ago we had to say a sad goodbye to some close friends of ours. For the last 2 years we have enjoyed weekly playdates with them and it had to end because they moved across the country. This post is dedicated to Kara and her family. Here is the story of our friendship....
When Grace was a baby Matt and I would often take walks around the neighborhood. Almost every time we walked we saw a couple with their little girl who was a little older than Grace. We always smiled and waved but never introduced ourselves. I almost always wondered who they were and if I could have a potential mom friend in the neighborhood.
In August of 2009 we attended another friends' 1st birthday party and guess who was there? The nice couple with the cute little girl. We quickly recognized each other and chatted for a little bit. We realized we were both stay at home moms and planned our first playdate soon after.
At first it was just us and our 2 girls, Grace (4 months) and A (10 months) so we had time to chat and the girls didn't really play together. We got together every Friday morning and made lunch for each other. It was super fun trying new recipes on each other and just having a cool ending to the week.
The spring after we started hanging out Kara got pregnant and 3 months later I got pregnant. You all know I don't love pregnancy due to how I feel an Kara isn't the best at being pregnant either. So our morning playdates became afternoon playdates to avoid puking on each other. But we still managed to hang out at least once a week.
Finally our babies were born and we continued to get together switching back to the mornings and for lunch. The lunches at this point were always pizza. It's funny what adding 2 babies to the mix could do to our gourmet cooking. By this time Grace and A played together, asked about each other and really were friends. I think that is what made the goodbye sad because the girls will miss each other and neither of them has cellphones, facebook or internet yet.
Kara's husband just received his PhD so he had to find a job and he got a great one. So, I was happy to hear that he will have a good job but sad they had to leave. They don't even have family in our state so it might be a while before we see them again. I know friends come and go but I will always remember my friendship with Kara and I'm thankful for her in my life. I hope we will be able to keep in touch and share pictures and stories of our kids as they continue to grow up.
No comments:
Post a Comment