Saturday, September 4, 2010

Selling a Home...

...is not very much fun right now. Our house has officially been on the market for over 3 months. So, it is time for a quarterly update. I know when I first posted about putting the house on the market I had a positive attitude and said I didn't care if the house sold soon or not. And ultimately I can usually get to the point of not caring. I would be lying if I didn't say it has been a little bit frustrating.

The reality is the market in America has a 9 month inventory of homes and in our town it is 8.5 months so not that much behind. There are also several homes just like ours for sale in our area. We have aggressively priced and have kept our home nice and have no issues with it at all. So if a house was to sell I'd hope ours would be on the shorter list. But houses aren't selling. If houses aren't selling it doesn't matter what list you are on.

We have only had a few showings in 3 months. Yes, I know it only takes one buyer but if that one isn't even shopping for a home then you are out of luck. I think the hardest part has been I have kept my eye on the market and have found some homes I think would be a good fit for our family. However, I have to remember that we have a nice home and there will always be homes that I think are a good fit for us.

One blessing about this whole process is I'm learning more about money and how to honor God with what he's given us. We've been able to really think through the budget that we set for our next home and really evaluate whether we want to stick with it or not. In thinking about all of this I've learned more about what it means when I say I believe that our money is really God's money. It's not just about giving away X% but about using 100% of our money in a way that we feel is ordained by God.

With all that said it would be really nice to sell our house by the end of 2010 so we can have a bedroom when the new baby comes. But I'd take new baby over an extra bedroom any day. So in the scheme of things Grace can share a bedroom with her brother or sister and I'd feel very blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment