Anyway, Grace has been doing something really funny and house elfish (Harry Potter reference) for the last week or two. The back story is Grace is our first child and we have no idea how to discipline. So, we're learning. Grace's main offenses are playing with the DVD/VCR player or the blinds. When this happens we usually put her in timeout. She continues to do the things she's not supposed to do so I'm not sure if that means timeouts are ineffective.
Another bad behavior that Grace has been exhibiting lately is throwing her food off of her tray when she is done. This does not go over well especially because our dining table is on carpet. So we immediately take her tray away. I think a few times we said bad and slapped her hand. But not enough that I even really remember doing it.
Then the house elf behavior started. Now, whenever Grace throws her food or even does something she is pretty sure she is not supposed to do she starts saying, "bad, bad, bad" and slapping her hand. She usually continues to make the bad choice but she's discipling herself. Let me tell you it is really hard not to roll on the ground laughing.
Ah, discipline! I am certainly no expert myself, and I'm three kids in! Did you do Baby-wise with Grace? There's a blog that I follow (www.babywisemom.com) and she had a post the other day about logical consequences and specifically what to do when a child says "no". It was helpful to me so I thought I'd pass it on:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.babywisemom.com/2010/09/logical-consequences-saying-no-when.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+ChroniclesOfABabywiseMom+(Chronicles+of+a+Babywise+Mom)
This means your discipline is effective. She is starting to internalize it. Just like when she studies pictures in books or repeats stacking the cups or blocks, she is learning what happens when she does the bad things. Is Dad going to say No every time I pull on the blinds? Is Mom going to take away my tray every time I throw the food? It's working. Just be consistent, reasonable and loving, and she will get it. :-)
ReplyDelete