Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Vegetarian Enchilada Casserole

I bet you blinked your eyes when you saw one of my recipes was vegetarian. Yes, I do cook without meat but only for special occasions. And Matt didn't eat a bite of this so I've been eating it for a week strait. Grace loved it though and signed more (which I had only taught her once a week before after I gave her some). I hope you find time to make this yummy dish. Enjoy.

Ingredients:

  • 1/2 chopped medium onion
  • 2 chopped peppers (I did one yellow and one red)
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4 cup salsa
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 15.8 ounce cans black beans, drained
  • 6-8 tortillas (I've been buying all whole wheat products and Meijer sells some yummy whole wheat flour tortillas)
  • 2 cups cheese shredded
  • 3 tomatoes chopped (optional)
  • sour cream (optional)
  • sliced black olives (optional)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine onion pepper, garlic, salsa, cumin and black beans in large skillet and bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, stirring frequently for 3 minutes.

Arrange 1/2 of the tortillas in bottom of 9" x 13" baking dish overlapping them as necessary. Spread half of bean mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layering process with remaining tortillas, bean mixture and cheese.

Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and serve warm.

*******Garnish with tomatoes, sour cream and olives.*******The garnish made it go from really good to delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment