Why do I watch so much TV? Last night Matt and I were having a discussion about how much TV we watch and concluded it is way too much. Until about 6 years ago I NEVER watched TV. And from then until about 1 year ago I rarely watched TV. I didn't know what shows were on and I didn't care. There were several days I would come home from work and read an entire book if I didn't have anything going on that evening. But over the last year the tides have changed. I don't turn the TV on during the day while Grace is awake unless I want to watch the news but during her afternoon nap I watch it at least twice a week. Once Grace is in bed at 7:00 we probably have the TV on 4 or 5 nights a week. Here are my 3 answers to why I/we watch so much TV.
1. Netflix - I love Netflix. It is cheap and you can get anything to watch. We really don't watch that many movies through Netflix but we watch lots of TV shows. Since we really haven't watched much TV over the last several years we have tons of shows we can rent and catch up on. We just watch everything a year late. We are currently watching Chuck.
2. Hulu - O my, this is addicting. Somehow we have the capacity via some kind of chord to play our computer through our TV so if it's on Hulu it is as good as TV to me. Did you know Hulu has over 100 episodes of House Hunters? Have you heard of the ABC Family show Make it or Break it? We don't even get cable but I've watched the 19 episodes so far this season on Hulu.
3. We can't leave - Now that we have a baby that goes to bed at 7:00 and isn't old enough to take care of herself we can't leave. So after taking care of a baby all day long watching TV is the mindless activity that we enjoy. I wish I could do more mindful things like playing games, crossword puzzles and reading but it's just not happening as much.
I have been feeling like my TV watching habits need a little bit of a makeover. I don't want my mind to rot. But when it comes to the end of the day I have no motivation to do anything else. Maybe just writing this post will help me keep the TV off.
No comments:
Post a Comment