Thursday, December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas


"For to us a child is born,
to us a son is given,
and the government will be on his shoulders.
And he will be called
Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God,
Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

 Of the increase of his government and peace
there will be no end.
He will reign on David's throne
and over his kingdom,
establishing and upholding it
with justice and righteousness
from that time on and forever.
The zeal of the LORD Almighty
will accomplish this." -- Isaiah 9:6-7

A manger.  A freakin' manger.  Of all the places to show up in this world, that's where God decides to make His "grand entrance."  And to think that thirty-some years later, He makes His most memorable mark on a wooden cross at His own execution.  It's not what I would have picked out for the plans for God coming down to earth.  I would have given him a golden crib at birth and a millionaire mansion as a retirement home.  

Thankfully, God doesn't fit into my feeble plans or follow an expected path; God's ways are higher than my ways (Isaiah 55:9).  Finally, after enough frustration and attempts of controlling my life, I'm learning that at times when things seem the most unexpected or the most out-of-place (like in a manger in a stable), it is there when I can see God most clearly.  I'm tired of looking for God in the ways I want to see Him -- in my plans, on my time schedule.  Now I'm starting to look for Him in the ways that He wants to show Himself (Isaiah 17:7-8), even if it's inconvenient or if I'm not in control.

Yes, Christmas is a great day because of great food, family, and sometimes great presents; but more than that, it is a great day because it reminds me that God always has a plan, even if it happens to be different than my own.  And as I'm figuring out, God's plans are always better than mine anyway.  In math terms: God's plans > my plans. 

Merry Christmas!!!!

P.S.  If you're looking for something to do on Christmas Day at 4pm, please tune in to ABC to watch world-class basketball as the Lakers take on the Celtics.  You will thank me later.

No comments:

Post a Comment