Activity Week Day #2: Since Sunday was Chinese New Year I decided to spend a morning doing activities focused around that event. My sister-in-law is Chinese and in turn Grace and Caleb's cousins are half Chinese so I think it is especially important to learn about that country. I also was able to spend six weeks in China during one of my college summers so I feel an affinity towards China.
Today we started off by reading several books about China, Chinese New Year, and other Chinese holidays. Because I decided to do this at the last minute I got some of the "lame" books from the library but next year I'll try to go sooner so I can get some good books. Either way the kids still seemed to enjoy looking at the books. Then we watched a few videos online of lion dances and dragon dances. Caleb especially loved those and at one point brought me my computer asking for more dragons.
The next thing we did was make a dragon craft that was in one of the books we got from the library. They turned out super cool. And then later after lunch Grace and I made
spiral snakes since this is the year of the snake. I think Grace was pretty confused by the animals assigned to each year and even more disappointed that the year she was born was the year of the ox (an animal she really knows nothing about). She loved the snakes though:)
The other fun thing we did was order Chinese food for lunch. That was a special treat for the kids and me!
We had a great morning celebrating, doing crafts, learning about another culture, and chowing on some delicious food. Gung hay fat choy!
 |
| Making dragons |
 |
| Grace and her dragon |
 |
| Eating orange chicken, low mein and fried rice |
 |
| Grace showing off her snake |
 |
| Slithering snakes. Guess which snake is mine and which is Grace's. |
You can tell Grace that I was also born in a year of the ox. Maybe then she'll think it's cooler.
ReplyDelete