Grace and I just returned home from an unsuccessful trip to the dentist:( I couldn't get an 8:00 time slot so I thought I was going to have to bring Caleb with me. Fortunately Matt didn't have any meetings at work today until 10:00 so I was able to drop Caleb off at his office for a bit while I took Grace to the appointment. Thanks goodness he wasn't with me because then I would have been really stressed out.
Well the appointment wasn't really a dentist appointment just a trip to sit in the chair! Grace seemed a little nervous when we first walked in but she did so well at her last appointment that I wasn't worried about her. She wanted to sit on my lap but let the hygentist count her bottom teeth. Then she covered her mouth the rest of the time, cried and told us she was really scared. She seemed genuinely scared and wasn't putting on a show.
I wasn't prepared for her anxiety so I spontaneously tried to bribe her with McDonald's and toys but she told me she didn't want either of those things. I might have been able to convince her to open her mouth with the promise of candy but I just didn't have the guts to promise a child candy at the dentist!
The next 8:00 appointment available is in early April so we are going to try again in 4 months. The hygentist said in the few seconds she got to look in Grace's mouth she saw nothing to be worried about. And thankfully they didn't charge us anything for the appointment!
So, in April I will have a plan and I'm sure a lot of extrinsic motivation!!!
Aww. Poor Grace. Sounds scary for her. I hope you guys have better luck next time.
ReplyDelete