I think it's time for a book review since I have 4 books I want to mention...
1. Bringing up Bebe by Pamela Druckerman. From the very start of her story I was engaged in the authors description of what it was like to be an American living in Paris and raising children. She presented a very observant, sometimes funny, well written and un-biased book discussing parenting differences across borders. Follow my link if you want a more detailed summary. I liked the book because I liked the way she wrote. I found myself a little more educated and was interested in her story. I did Internet search the author and found some of her lifestyle choices to be very different from mine so as I was reading the book I didn't really look to it as a parenting advice book (and I don't think that was the intention of it either). Enough said, it was worth the read.
2. Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches by Rachel Jankovic. I LOVED this book. First of all it is short (only 100 pages) and it is a quick read. I actually read it in one not super long car ride. But it was packed full of faith based encouragement for mothers of small children. It made me smile and made me feel like I can do this mothering thing with a grateful heart and a good attitude. I definitely don't feel alone in the mothering of little ones thing because I'm blessed to have so many friends who are going through it too. But she put into words things that my friends and I haven't put into words together. If you only have time for one book and you have any kids preschool and under read this one.
3. The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett: A great long novel that was fun to read. I actually read this novel when I was in high school (long before it became more popular due to Oprah's Book Club). All that I remembered about it was a cathedral was built somewhere. I didn't remember the story line, characters, or time frame. If you're curious about that click on link for a summary provided by Amazon. But I will say it was fun to read (although I got a little bored at the end), the characters were interesting, and the time period was fascinating to lose myself in. It also made me think a lot about the role the church had in government and how things were pretty messed up then. Not that it was all bad but when sinful people (which is everyone) are involved things don't always reflect who God is (perfect and not sinful).
4. Yes, Chef: A Memoir by Marcus Samuelsson: This book was cool. The author is an Ethiopian born, Swedish adopted, now American citizen chef. He is famous and cooks good food. In the book he chronicled his journey to get to where he is now which is running a big deal restaurant in New York City. I loved reading about his life and travel, his long work days and what it means to be a chef, and his thoughts on race and family. I also was humbled and realized the food that I cook for my family and friends is nothing compared to his. Sometimes I fancy myself a decent cook but after this I was reminded I'm nothing special (well I know I'm special to my family because I feed them good and healthy meals). But, you know what I mean.
I just put 2 of these on hold. Thanks for the suggestions! :)
ReplyDelete