It seems like our household generates 4-6 loads of laundry a week and I was under the false impression that having everything clean and put away was equal to pure laundry bliss. So, I would end up saving laundry and trying to do all of my loads in one day. 4-6 loads washed, dried, hung, folded and put away in one day is a complete headache and daydream.
Next I started not trying to do it all in one day but then I found myself confused about how much laundry I actually had to do or feeling like I never made progress. Enter in my Type A personality. A system was born. After months of thought I followed through and now after a month of implementation I'm LOVING it. I feel accomplished and unburdened. I hope the novelty doesn't wear off anytime soon.
Here's the system...
- All of the laundry is collected in one place upstairs and brought downstairs to the laundry room on a regular basis to be sorted (previously laundry was collected in 5 different places upstairs).
- Once the laundry is downstairs it is sorted into sheets and towels, kids, lights or darks.
- Each of those categories has an assigned washing day Monday-Thursday starting with sheets and towels on Monday.
Pros: I am doing one or at most two loads of laundry on any day so I can take two hours to remember to move it to the washer. Folding is not overwhelming when it's only one drier full. Matt knows what day things will be washed so he can be responsible for getting his stuff in the laundry without feeling like he's nagging me about getting it done. I feel organized so I don't feel behind. I do the towels first thing in the week so I'm motivated to fold them and put them away before I start other laundry (in the past that's what sat around waiting to be folded).
Cons: I have to do laundry 4 days a week (still worth it though).


Glad you found a system that works. We do laundry about everyday of the week too, but just one load maybe two. It's easier that it doesn't get backed up because I can't keep on top of folding. Hopefully it will be easier when the kids are older. My boys bring all their clothes to the washer, they load the washer and run it. I have to move it to the dryer, but they sort all the dried clothes and then fold and put away their stuff. So then I'm just responsible for putting away the grown-up's clothes and Mei's. Sooo much easier, though they do have a preference for washing "heavy duties." I have no idea why.
ReplyDelete