
If you live in Champaign, IL or anyplace somewhat close (namely Urbana) I would highly recommend checking out the brand new Champaign Public Library. As I have perused the shelves of the old library I have watched the new library being built next door and daydreamed about spending time in it one day. Well, that day came. The library opened on January 6th and I was there by January 7th.
"Library Director Marsha Grove predicts that visitors will be amazed by the 122,600-square-foot space, which is three times the size of the building it replaces. 'There’s really no comparison with what we have now,' Grove said. 'We think the public is going to be thrilled and extremely proud when they get a chance to see their new library.'" I was proud of the new library for sure and I just want to spend hours soaking up the atmosphere.
Here are my top 5 favorite things about the new library....
1. Self Checkout everywhere! All you have to do is set your pile of books on this magic pad and the computer knows what you want to check out. What?! That's as cool as the Internet.
2. Seating galore!!! The old library was seriously lacking on a place to sit and read, not this new library. Matt even said he thought there was too much seating. I say impossible!
3. Many conference rooms and study rooms!!! Although I may never use one of these rooms, they looked awesome. I wanted to go sign up for a really hard class at the U of I so I could visit the library and study.
4. More space!!! It was so fun to just wander around the new space and take it all in. The library is huge.
5. It's still free!!! Why buy a new book when you can go to the library and check it out. Look into it people. If you don't have a library card and live in Champaign, I will go with you to the library to get one.
I have to agree! The library is wonderful! The childrens section is even fun! Madalyn loves to walk all over the place and pick out her own books. I love the fact that the bookshelves are at her height!
ReplyDelete(Jenn)
yup...you are right. i went to the library this afternoon and got a library card and walked around. it's a really nice library!!
ReplyDeleteI never thought it would be fun to check-out library books, but the self check-out is really cool!
ReplyDeleteIf you own the book, at some point, you are going to have to dust it, and that doesn't work for me. . .