Friday, January 11, 2008

The Greatest Football Weekend Of The Year

This weekend from 3:30 - 10pm on Saturday and 12pm - 6pm on Sunday, I will be partaking in the annual celebration of the Greatest Football Weekend Of The Year. Featuring the top 4 teams in the league (all who had byes last week) versus the 4 teams who won during last weekend's wild-card round, the weekend will be full of drama, suspense, and great football. Here is my analysis and prediction for each game:

Packers vs. Seahawks, 3:30pm CT on Saturday
Analysis: The Packers and Seahawks are two similar teams. They both have above average passing games, below average running games, and solid defenses. What tips the boat for the Packers is they're at home and have the better running game.
Prediction:
Packers 24, Seahawks 13

Patriots vs. Jaguars, 7:00pm CT on Saturday
Analysis: A lot of NFL analysts believe the Jaguars have the make-up to upset the Patriots. There's just one big problem: the Jaguars passing defense. The Steelers showed that they could throw the ball at will against the Jaguars last week. Hmmmm.....I wonder what Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and company will be able to do. I don't think this game will be close.
Prediction:
Patriots 45, Jaguars 10

Colts vs. Chargers, 12:00pm CT on Saturday
Analysis: These seems like an easy game to pick. The Colts are solid on both sides of the ball and the Chargers will likely be missing a big playmaker, Antonio Gates. However, the Chargers got to Manning for 6 INT when they played against the Colts earlier in the year. I think they'll be able to make it a game, but come up short. Too much Joseph Addai will do the Chargers in.
Prediction:
Colts 27, Chargers 24

Cowboys vs. Giants, 3:30pm CT on Saturday
Analysis: First of all, Tony Romo hearts Jessica Simpson. Secondly, the Giants played well last week but they're the same team that were barely competitive with the Cowboys in 2 regular season games. I see the Cowboys winning (Tony Romo WILL have a good game), but the Giants keep it close with Eli Manning continuing to finally resemble his older brother.
Prediction:
Cowboys 31, Giants 24

I know, I know, my picks aren't dangerous. I took the favorites in each match-up. However, if there was a game where I would pick an upset, it would be the Seahawks over my Packers. The Seahawks have a team loaded with postseason and Super Bowl experience while only a third of the Packers' team has even played in the postseason. But I can't pick against my Packers. Brett Favre for President!

3 comments:

  1. Matt it looks like you are picking the chargers over the colts OR you are making a statement regarding Joseph Addai not being a very good player. Not sure.

    Jags over the pats. believe it. you heard it here....well not first but you heard it here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant to put Colts 27, Chargers 24. It has been fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need to put up new predictions for this week. You have one more day.

    Do you like Brett Favre?

    ReplyDelete