![]() |
| Juice is the reward for going potty in an effort to encourage more potty time. |
Grace has been telling us for weeks (probably months) that she is "coming into a big girl." Most of the time she says it when we bring up the potty because she is not interested. She kind of says it like someday she'll go potty but not now because she's not a big girl yet but she is becoming one.
A few times we tried putting Grace in underwear and having her sit on the potty but that quickly ended in wet pants and no interest in the potty. So, when we tried again Saturday morning we didn't expect much. However, Grace decided to poop and pee in the potty for the first time ever. And she has just moved forward at a clipping pace.
The big picture is she has gone on the potty 21 times since Saturday and has had 10 accidents. Most of the accidents were on Saturday or Sunday and all of this is during awake time. We're still doing diapers at nap and bedtime. She has also pooped 3 times on the potty.
At first she just spent a lot of time sitting on the potty waiting to go and now it has evolved into she notices when she has to go and sits on the potty and goes right away. She isn't very good at holding it once she notices she has to go so I have to get her there quickly. She also doesn't tell me she has to go potty but asks me to hold her so she doesn't wet her pants. I want to get to the point where she just says, "I have to go potty."
This paints a pretty sunny picture of potty training that is definitely not the absolute truth. I am happy with how it has been going overall. But it is an emotional roller coaster for both Grace and me. I can tell she's excited but worn out by it all. I feel like I'm watching her like a hawk and not pausing for a second. I'm also trying to be extra sensitive to her needs and not push it while at the same time challenging and encouraging her along the way. It would have been nice if she would have been ready to be potty trained before Caleb was mobile too. She loves wearing underwear so it is hard to convince her to wear a diaper when she's sleeping and I think it kind of upsets her when she goes potty in her diaper.
I think we are a ways from being completely potty trained but we are definitely at the point where we can't turn back. I'm a little nervous about the first time we have to leave the house after all the progress we have made this week but we'll figure out a plan. And if the plan fails we'll adapt:)
We are so proud of our "coming into a big girl" Grace!

Yay! I was wondering how it was going. Tell Grace that Amy is so proud of her! Also, I have some plastic pants to put over underwear that you can borrow for those first outings, which are very nerve-wracking. :-)
ReplyDelete