Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Mexican Meatballs

Thanks to my friend Amy we have a new favorite recipe in our house. I made her Mexican Meatballs tonight and we LOVED them. The only thing I did differently from her recipe is I didn't measure anything (just guessed), skipped the onions and used onion powder instead, and I used medium instead of mild enchilada sauce. As Grace says when she eats something she likes these were nummy!

Ingredients :


  • 1 pound ground turkey or ground beef
  • ½ cup finely crushed tortilla chips
  • ½ cup grated zucchini (sub. shredded carrots)
  • ¼ cup green onions, finely chopped (sub. white onions)
  • 1 large egg, lightly beaten
  • ½ teaspoon ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon oregano
  • salt and pepper to taste

  • 1 can (10 oz) mild enchilada sauce
  • ½ cup water

Directions:


Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, mix all ingredients except enchilada sauce and water. Shape into 1 ½ inch meatballs. Place on a sprayed baking sheet with a rim. Bake for 20 minutes or until browned. (Freeze after this step, if freezing to eat later. Then thaw and follow directions below.)


In a large skillet, combine enchilada sauce and water. Add cooked meatballs, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.


Serve over rice. Sprinkle shredded cheddar on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment