
Since I have spent about 3 hours watching basketball this past weekend and several more hours sleeping and reading while it was on, I felt that I had picked up on enough basketball to make myself a bracket for the NCAA tournament. Matt informed me that I could go to Yahoo! and fill out a bracket for free and then if it's perfect I could win $5 million dollars. As I signed on to the website I was feeling quite optimistic since I know more about specific basketball teams than ever before. Then as I started filling out my bracket I realized I only know a tiny bit about 8 of the 64 teams. So, I resorted to my previous methods of predicting a winner. I considered the following things in no particular order.
1. Have I heard of this school before, are the colors nice, and do they have a reasonable/believable mascot?
2. Do I know someone who went to or is associated with this school and do I generally like or dislike that person?
3. Have I predicted an upset yet for this bracket? If not maybe I better.
4. Has Matt ever mentioned this school and what did he say about them?
5. What is my gut instinct?
For example, I chose Kent St. to win over UNLV in the first round because my friend Jerusha works there, but then I chose for them to lose to Kansas because their mascot is the Golden Flashes. There is no way flashes can beat a #1 ranked team.
In case you are curious I chose Wisconsin (because Matt loves Wisconsin and I do too by default), North Carolina ( becuase I like blue, Michael Jordon went there and the sports announcers seem really hyped about them this year), Stanford (because smart people attend that school) and UCLA (because I have a UCLA sweatshirt) for the final four. Then I chose the final game to be Wisconsin vs. UCLA (see above reasons). And Wisconsin will win 61-57. It'll be a great game.
wow...possibly the least informed bracket ever made ... but you never know - stranger things have happened... Anne could be correct.
ReplyDeleteMy best bracket ever was the year I laboriously flipped a coin for each pairing. That really annoyed the guys I worked with so I gave that up . . .
ReplyDelete