Saturday, March 1, 2008

The Poor Color Orange

Our guest this weekend, Jerusha, had some airline difficulty so her checked in bags were not available for her when she got to Champaign. So I called United Airlines today to figure out where her bags were out and file a claim to get the bag delivered to us in Champaign. Here was a snippet of my conversation with the baggage claims service agent:

Agent: OK, I'll file a claim to track your bag. I need to know a few things about your bag.
Me: Sure.
Agent: OK, what color is the bag?
Me: It is an orange Eddie Bauer duffel bag.
Agent: One second, let me enter that in to the report. OK, now what airport should the bag have arrived at?
Me: The Bloomington, IL airport was the final destination.
Agent: OK. So I've marked down in the database that it is a yellow duffel bag targeted for Bloomington.
Me: Um, actually I said the duffel bag is orange. It's an orange duffel bag.
Agent: Yes, I know that. I put down yellow for your bag in our database.
Me: But the bag is orange.
Agent: Oh, yes. You see, we don't have the color orange in our database. So I put it down as a yellow bag.
Me: Um, sure.

So just to clarify, the United Airlines baggage database does not allow for the color orange.

1 comment: