Friday, August 31, 2012

Best, Easiest Mac and Cheese

I recently read a silly novel that had a couple recipes interspersed throughout the book.  The recipes had to do with the story line but while the book was entertaining enough to read I don't really think it was good enough to retell any part of the story.  The point is the book contained a mac and cheese recipe that I thought I'd give a try.  Keep in mind this recipe came from a novel so I wasn't even sure if  it had ever been tested in the kitchen.

But I am a sucker for pretty much any homemade mac and cheese recipe.  I've made it with many types of cheese including the self proclaimed better melting Velveeta.  And boy does Velveeta produce a creamy mac and cheese. Despite the delicious creaminess I would prefer to avoid Velveeta so I've made several cheese sauces to put my cooked noodles in.  Most that I've tried come out yummy and creamy but sometimes I don't want to do all the work.

On to the main event...the recipe from the book was delicious, creamy, easy and perfect.  I threw it together in the morning and cooked it for lunch.  Soooo good.

Here's the recipe...

Ingredients:
1 cup cottage cheese
2 cups whole milk
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
3.5 cups shredded cheddar cheese (white cheddar would make it even more delicious)
3 cups whole wheat rotini pasta

Instructions:

  • Preheat oven to 375
  • Grease a 2-quart covered casserole
  • In a blender combine cottage cheese, milk and mustard and blend until smooth
  • Mix dry pasta and shredded cheddar in casserole
  • Pour milk mixture over pasta and stir gently
  • Cover and bake for 30 minutes
  • Uncover and bake for another 30 minutes until hot and bubbly

No comments:

Post a Comment