If I was ever to start a business I think it would be buying and re-selling loveys on e-bay. What is a lovey (also spelled lovie) you might ask? It is a toy, blanket or combination of the two that a child loves to sleep with and is slightly to completely attached to.
Grace has a lovey that we call Sally (pictured above). I thought I was smart by buying her 2 of this item when we started giving it to her when she was really little. Unfortunately I couldn't find Sally in pink so I got a green Sally. Up until this week Grace has never cared which Sally she slept with. That was great.
Now when I try to give her the green one she says, "No. Pink Sally." And I feel this could be a problem if we ever lose the pink Sally. So since they don't make the pink Sally anymore I decided to look on e-bay for one. They are going for about $20-$25 plus shipping! Then came my idea...
I need to go to stores and buy up all the different loveys. Then I need to put them on e-bay so when they are discontinued or parents can't find them anywhere they will desperately search and pay any amount for them online.
Now the question is do I fork over the cash to have a back-up for Grace?
That is a great idea. We have two of the babies Ava loves, one at our house and one at Jill's. I've been looking all over for a third because I'm afraid it's going to deteriorate from being washed so often. I finally found one and had to spend $15 for something that only cost $7.99 new. It's totally worth it though!
ReplyDeleteI'm torn about this subject...my niece has had the same sort of piggy for the past several years, getting a new identical one each time the previous one starts to get worn out.
ReplyDeleteOn the one hand, it gives them something to attach to that's always the same. They are comfortable with it and it can ease that anxiety because of their attachment.
On the other hand, I'm worried that it may hinder their ability to handle change. Life is full of changes, both big and small, and if they don't learn to adjust early on, will that cause increased anxiety and fear of change in the future?
It sounds like a good idea to me Anne! Riley has 3 'blankies'(as we call them) Two different monkey ones and one that is a some other animal. I think it is a giraffe. Anyway, so far I have been very lucky he does not care which one he has.
ReplyDeleteI was just reading this and thinking that I might have to get another one that Rubey has. She has already become attached to hers at bedtime. Hers is a giraffe from Gymboree. It was a gift but not real cheap either. I think I better look as they are on sale right now!