Monday, August 2, 2010

Rollerblading is Life

"Rollerblading is Life" is what one of my favorite t-shirts from high school said. I loved to get out and rolerblade for hours. Then I got into biking. I had so much fun being fit and being outdoors on wheels. After moving here 6 years ago I found that I had a harder time finding people to be active with. So many excuses. Maybe it was the fact that I wasn't in college anymore and had a full time job. And everyone I knew was in the same position. I could roller blade on my own but just never did. I wasn't really comfortable road biking in the country all by myself. I know I could have worked a little harder to find people to bike with but I just didn't. So I sold my mountain bike to a friend and I put my road bike on craigslist and quickly found a buyer.

At this point the only wheels I had left were my rollerblades. Then Matt and I started dating. I had to spend time with him so I stopped roller blading. Fast forward. We got married, got pregnant, had a baby. It's really hard to be active while pregnant and then with a new baby. I managed to get myself to the gym and go for walks (which is great but not as interesting). I've been contemplating whether or not I needed my rollerblades anymore for the last several months. I haven't used them in years and they are really nice. Then I began to wonder if rollerblading was even cool anymore or if it was just dorky. Just last week Matt was doing some computer programming with a friend and I was discussing my rollerblading dilemma with them. His friend told me his wife (who is very active) would probably love my rollerblades. So, I gave them away. They are nice and she will probably get a lot of use out of them. But to me it was the end of an era. Even though I haven't done it in a while I now cannot jolt around town on self powered wheels. Right now my stroller is my only set of wheels. I wonder if I could get a shirt that says, "Stroller Pushing is Life"

No comments:

Post a Comment