Tuesday, January 26, 2010

The Clothing Room

Since 2005 I have been serving at a local ministry, Empty Tomb, with my small group. We have done many things to help them out (I used the term help them out loosely since we only go once a month for 2 hours) such as home repair, mailings, cleaning, and mostly working in the clothing room. And by that I mean going through bags of peoples old clothes, folding, sorting, and hanging them so that people in our community can have access to them. It is a great ministry and although I usually groan about sorting through dirty clothes I am glad that I have been able to do this. I have encountered bags of clothes with mouse dropping, cigarette smoke smell, animal hair, dirty underwear and bags that are freshly laundered, folded neatly and full of nearly new clothes but tonight I encountered my favorite bag yet. Our time at Empty Tomb was coming to an end for the evening and we declared last bag to be sorted. If it hadn't been pre-declared we would have had to end with it because of the contents inside. It was phenomenal. It was phenomenal because Matt is a huge Wisconsin sports fan, because the girls I was sorting clothes with grew up in the 80's-early 90's, because we all love Zach Morris and because I wasn't sure if the person who donated the clothes had been wearing them for the last 20 years or just likes to hang onto stuff. Have you looked ahead yet to see the pictures? I bet most of you have and didn't even read this far. O well, here are some contents of the last bag of the night.
_______________________________________________________________

Go Bucks! Go Brewers!

This shirt was a women's tank top. It was short and "cute".
________________________________________________________________

Don't worry, be happy!

Who can resist cutting shirts up the side and then tying them for a little decorative flair?
________________________________________________________________

SBTB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Although its against the rules I almost took this shirt home with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment