Friday, December 18, 2009

Why I Hate the Dentist


Even though I have had a great track record with the dentist it is still one of my least favorite places to go. I've never had a root canal. I only go occasionally for a cleaning. I've never had anything weird ever happen to me at the dentist but I hate going. I really have no reason to hate dentist just that I always have and today while I was getting my teeth cleaned I came up with a list detailing why I hate it.

1. I can't talk for 45 minutes straight.

2. That scraping thing they use grates at my nerves.

3. The dentist always tells me to get my wisdom teeth out. He is just waiting for the day to say, "I told you so" when I have to get them out.

4. Whenever the hygienist flosses behind my permanent retainer I think all of my teeth are going to pop out.

5. Drool. Things are a lot better now that they have a sucker but it's still annoying.

6. It hurts. Nobody wants their teeth messed with for so long.

7. The shame of explaining why you haven't been to the dentist in x months or years always is hard on me.

8. Brushing and flossing like crazy a week or two before the appointment is annoying.

9. Dry lips. I hate how dry my lips get while they are cleaning.

10. The wort part about the dentist to me is the wait. You sit there in silence while the hygienist cleans. Then the dentist comes and taps away. And finally 45+ minutes later you hear the results. I generally stress most of the time that they are finding multiple cavities. The funny thing is in my mouth they never do. But I feel like it is comparable to waiting to get your score on a big exam, finding out if you're accepted into a college or program or waiting for a job offer.

And that is why I hate the dentist.

No comments:

Post a Comment