Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Apple-Apricot Pork Chops

We just concluded Crock Pot November in our house. For the last month we have been taking Grace to swimming lessons on Monday and Wednesday from 5:30-6:00. So by the time we get home, get her fed and into bed there really isn't much time to think about cooking. I recognized this might be an issue before the month started and have been making meals in the Crock Pot on those days. We have had meatloaf, chicken Parmesan, Ruebens, and taco soup to name a few. But tonight for our last one I think I made the winner...Apple-Apricot Pork Chops. I found the recipe online and of course since I don't really follow recipes completely I modified it a bit for 2 people and for my convenience and that is what I posted below.

This recipe was super easy and delicious. The thing that made is soooo easy was my new food processor (Christmas present from Matt. But since I knew what I was getting the surprise was that I got it one month early!!!). To chop all of the food I just fed it through the giant feeding tube on my processor while using the slicing blade and it literally took less than 5 minutes to get all the chopping done. So the prep for this meal was fast! If you hand chopped it would take a little extra time but it was delicious so it would be worth it.


Ingredients
  • 3 - 4 pork filets or chops (I did 3 thick cut tonight but wish I had done another for more even leftovers)
  • 1/2 chopped apple
  • 1 large handful chopped dried apricot
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped
  • 4 ribs celery, sliced in 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 cup apple juice
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup dry sherry or dry white wine, or more apple juice (I used cooking sherry)
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 2 tablespoons cold water
Preparation

Combine all ingredients (except cornstarch mixture); cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 9 hours, or 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours on HIGH. About 20 to 30 minutes before serving, pour liquid into a separate container to skim off excess fat. Stir in cornstarch mixture and return broth to slow cooker. Continue cooking on low until sauce is smooth and thickened.

No comments:

Post a Comment