Sunday, August 24, 2008

God Is The Gospel



I'm just finishing reading a book by John Piper entitled "God Is The Gospel". Piper writes at a very deep and rich level, so my brain hurt a lot while reading this. But by the grace of God, I got a lot of solid wisdom out of the book. Here is Piper's explanation of the book:

"The point of this book is that the Christian gospel is not merely that Jesus died and rose again; and not merely that these events appease God's wrath, forgive sin, and justify sinners; and not merely that this redemption gets us out of hell and into heaven; but that they bring us to the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ as our supreme, all-satisfying, and everlasting treasure."

The book has helped push me to not settle for less than the glory of God in my relationship with God. Too often I find myself satisfied in secondary things -- financial blessing, success, marriage, freedom from sin -- rather than in the primary Treasure that is available to me. The secondary things are great, too, and come from God but they pale in comparison to grasping and experiencing God.

So, in short, God Himself is the greatest blessing we can ever experience. That's what I want to put my hope in.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Anne,

    This is Abe. That's awesome! I will have to check out this book. I just finished reading "Walking with God" by John Eldredge. I highly recommend this book.

    Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete