
My friend Jerusha recommended Rebecca to me a couple of years ago so I bought it and just now got around to reading it. I don't know what took me so long. Daphne Du Maurier first published this book in 1938 and it is described as a romantic suspense novel. The story is of a young girl who married an older widow Mr. de Winter. His previous wife Rebecca captivated many people and the new young bride had to follow in her footsteps. The story of her personal struggles with and what she uncovers about Rebecca made this book wonderful. With some surprising twists and a page turning ending, this book was a thrill to read.

About a month ago I was hanging out at the library with some friends and saw about 20 copies of this book on the shelf. So, I decided I'm going to check it out and give it a read. I was honestly not expecting to like it but Vreeland gave me a great story. Vreeland writes novels about real people, specifically artists, based losely on facts. This was a story of the artist Artemisia Gentileschi and her life. I often enjoy stories that span years of someones life and this one was no exception. Vreeland also did a wonderful job telling the story of Artemisia's painting, Judith, throughout the novel. My description of this book didn't really do it just but it is a great read!
No comments:
Post a Comment