Friday, April 11, 2008

Book Review: "Life Together" by Dietrich Bonhoeffer


Over the last few years, I have a read a number of books related to small group ministry and building biblical community, focused more on the strategy and practicals of participating in and leading a small group. I have not read many books which speak to the heart of community. I was recommended "Life Together" by a friend and I must say that the book turned out to be one of the most encouraging and challenging books I've ever read. Not only did it speak to the heart of community, but it captured the essence of Christian living.

Bonhoeffer was a Christian leader during WWII Germany and participated in leading an underground seminary which eventually led to his arrest and death. The book details his observations, teachings, and wisdom on what it means to live in community for God. Bonhoeffer detailed the difference between spiritual community and human community. He spoke of the tension of a Christian solely depending on God yet allowing God to use other people in a Christian's life. And through it all, Bonhoeffer painted a picture of an authentic, vibrant, living community that was Christ-saturated and Christ-exalting. The book is a quick read, with the first part containing Bonhoeffer's exposition on a biblical view of community, with the remaining parts of the book detailing the practical community he experienced.

If you are in a small group or find yourself looking for more in your community, I strongly recommend this book. God used it to change my perspective on what real Christ-centered community life can and should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment