Thursday, November 14, 2013

Potty Training Caleb

A week and 2 days ago we started the adventure of potty training Caleb.  Prior to last Tuesday Caleb had shown very little interest in the potty.  He would sit on it for fun once every week or two.  He'd had about 2 or 3 actual pees in the potty and he just didn't seem to care.  I had read in a book that if you just leave a kid potty out one day your child will decide to potty train.  I 100% didn't believe in this method but the funny thing is I think it's working for us.

Last Tuesday Caleb told me he wanted to start wearing underwear so I said sure and thought why not.  He had a handful of accidents the first couple of days but right away showed me an amazing ability to hold his pee.  His accidents greatly reduced and he would tell me when he had to go potty.  The problem was he would tense up on the potty and not have success and cry with fear.  After some internet searches I came up with the idea of putting the little potty in the bath for Caleb while running bath water.  This allowed him to relax and actually pee on the potty.

After a day or two of bath potty time he started having success out of the bath.  Now he does great when he sits on the little potty.  Monday morning we had three accidents (maybe because we had company) but he hasn't had one since!  He hasn't even peed in his pull-up while we are out.  He does ask to go potty while we are out and then clams up on big potties and then just holds it until we get home.  He's also been wearing underwear at naps with no issues (although he's been generally dry during nap time for a while).   Another big success is he tells me when he needs to go and I don't really feel like I have to be on his case.  After lunch today I went upstairs and found him going potty because he had to go.

We do have a long way to go because poop is another story.  He has not done poops on the potty and he waits to get a diaper or pull up on and then poops right away.  So I'm happy he is holding it but I'm ready to work on doing it in the potty.  We will start tackling that soon I hope.  Overall, I'm so proud of Caleb's progress!

O yeah, and the whole aiming situation (even while sitting because I'm not crazy and teaching Caleb to stand) is very different with a boy.  In that sense girl's are sooooo much easier.


No comments:

Post a Comment