Saturday, November 5, 2011

Baby Led Weaning

I wanted to do a quick post on Baby Led Weaning.  I mentioned in Caleb's 7 month post that this is the way we decided to introduce solid foods to him.  I'm not psycho about it and I think it's weird that it's named.  In my opinion it's just feeding babies food.  Anyway, I recently emailed a friend asking about starting her baby on solids that had a lot of info about Baby Led Weaning so below is my blog version of the email.

"With Grace I started giving her cereal right at 6 months and did that for a couple of weeks morning and evening. Then I made my own baby food and started giving her a little bit in the morning and a few weeks later gave her some at night too. At 8 months I started giving her lunch and only gave her finger foods for lunch. She really like finger foods so I slowly started replacing her purees with finger foods. By 10.5 months she wasn’t eating purees anymore and was eating all table foods.

With Caleb I’m 1000x more laid back and doing it slightly differently. I decided to completely skip the purees. So he just eats finger food. I love doing it this way. However, I don’t regret making purees for Grace. The nice thing about Caleb is I’ve never had to feed him. He just gets a pile of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner with us and feeds himself. It’s kind of lazy on my part. This method of feeding is called baby led weaning.

There is a book on the subject that I like.  I actually read the book when Grace was a baby so it motivated me to move quickly to finger foods and then I re-read it before starting Caleb on solids. There is also a BLW board on Babycenter with an FAQ section with some good info.

Basically we just started with chunks of banana and sweet potato fries. I peel and then cut sweet potatoes length wise, coat with a little oil, and bake them on a cookie sheet in the oven. I keep them in the freezer and reheat as needed. They worked great because he could hold onto one end and gnaw on the other. Now I’m giving Caleb diced food (about pea sized). I quickly moved to that because he was getting good at picking things up. I pretty much give him whatever I eat. I’m not super anal about giving him only one food and then waiting a couple days for the next. We don’t have a history of allergies.

I know a lot of people who do Baby Led Weaning swear by it and say they’d never do it any other way. It’s working great for us but I also think if we would have done things the way we did with Grace it would have been fine that way too."

Congrats if you read this to the end.  I hope you didn't fall asleep:)

No comments:

Post a Comment