Sunday, September 28, 2008

My Big Sports Day

Today is September 28th, 2008 and it is a big day in my sports life. I am an avid Wisconsin sports fan, and today could mark a historic day for the Milwaukee Brewers. If they win against the Cubs and the Mets lose again the Marlins, they clinch a playoff spot; if they lose and the Mets win, the Brewers are out; and if the Mets and Brewers both win or both lose, there will be a one-game playoff tomorrow.

In addition to the baseball games today, the Green Bay Packers will be playing a pivotal game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Here is the schedule for these big games:

12:00 pm
-- Packers vs. Buccaneers
12:10 pm -- Mets vs. Marlins
1:05 pm -- Brewers vs. Cubs

To celebrate today's big day in sports, I will be blogging throughout the day with updates regarding my emotional well-being as well as the status of the games.

Live Updates:

8:38 am: Just got dressed and put on my Packers t-shirt (I wore my good Brewers t-shirt on Friday). I also just convinced Anne that we will cook brats for lunch today. Good start to the day.

9:12 am: Leaving for church, seeking eternal perspective to be present throughout my sports day.

11:31 am: Back from church, which was solid. Heard a message on "Jesus As President" and was challenged to put Jesus first and let Him be an agent of transformation in my life. One of the things Jesus needs to change is my idolizing of sports. We'll see how I do with that today.

11:34 am: Going to start grill and cook some Johnsonville brats.

12:02 pm: Packers game kicks off with the Packers starting with the ball.

12:12 pm: Packers touchdown!!!!! Rodgers to Jennings for a 25-yard score. 7-0 Packers lead. Also it looks like the Mets/Marlins game is delayed due to rain. I think that's a good thing. I'd rather see the Brewers get their game underway not knowing what's going on with the Mets. Then they can just focus on winning their game.

12:34 pm: Nothing new in the Packers game. The Packers defense has looked pretty solid. Mets game is still delayed. Brewers game starts in half an hour. Also, brats were great in addition to the Spanish rice.

12:45 pm: Rodgers just threw his first interception of the the year; the ball went right off the chest of the running back, so it wasn't Rodgers fault. Hopefully the Packers D can hold. Also, looks like they're warming up in New York and gonna start the Mets game soon.

12:51 pm: Buccaneers score a TD to tie up the game, 7-7. Mets game still hasn't started.

1:00 pm: Mets game has finally started. GO MARLINS!!!! Meanwhile, the Packers aren't playing too well, but the game is still tied.

1:08 pm: Packers are losing now, 10-7; Mets and Brewers games just started, no scoring yet.

1:23 pm: Mets and Brewers games are scoreless. The Packers are now down 13-7, just before halftime. Rodgers threw a 2nd interception on a real bad throw.

1:37 pm: Brewers are down 1-0, thanks in part to an error. Also, the Brewers like to strike out today.

1:50 pm: Mets game is still scoreless, Brewers still down 1-0. Packers aren't starting well after halftime, giving up a big kickoff return and now the Bucs are inside their 20. So far, my big sports day is not proceeding as I would desire. There's lots of time left, though.

2:10 pm: Bucs just got a defensive TD to go up 20-7 on the Packers. The Pack has not looked good since their opening drive. Brewers offense is lifeless right now; they're down 1-0 after 4 innings. Mets and Marlins are scoreless in the 5th inning. One interesting note: Anne is getting noticeably frustrated with the Packers; I'm proud to see her into the game.

2:20 pm: Positive stuff happening. Rodgers threw a great pass to to Jennings for a TD strike to bring the Pack within 6; score is now 20-14. Marlins scored a run to take a 1-0 lead over the Mets. The Brewers still haven't scored.

2:35 pm: The Packers got an interception return for a TD to go up 21-20. Brewers still haven't score. Marlins are now up 2-0. Both games in the bottom of the 6th inning.

2:42 pm: Bad news. The Mets just hit a 2-run homer to tie the game. And Aaron Rodgers is hurt for the Packers. And the Brewers don't have a hit since their first batter of the game.

2:52 pm: It's starting to get intense here in our home. Packers defense is on the ropes with the Bucs driving to go ahead. And the Brewers finally got another hit in the 7th with a lead-off double. I need more apple cider.

3:00 pm: Dangit! Packers went behind 23-21 on a Bucs field goal, then Rodgers threw another interception when he was blindsided by a Bucs defensive player. Looks like the Packers are headed for a loss.

3:05 pm: Brewers tie it!!! Corey Hart totally choked by striking out with the bases loaded; but then Craig Counsell walked to bring in the tying run. Go Brewers!!!!!!

3:11 pm: Packers lose. Whatever, there's more important things to worry about now. The Mets and Brewers are tied in their games at this point. Unbelievable drama. I may be shaking right now. I'm also convinced the Brewers will keep CC Sabathia in the game no matter how many innings it takes. Even if his arm falls off.

3:16 pm: Wes Helms just hit a home run to put the Marlins up by 1!!!!!!!!! I just peed my pants a little.

3:23 pm: Pandemonium going on in our home!!!! Ryan Braun just hit a go-ahead 2-run home run to go up 3-1. The Marlins added another run to go up 4-2. If both these scores hold up, the Brewers are going to the playoffs. Still a few outs left.

3:33 pm: Brewers win!!!!! CC Sabathia was amazing, pitching a complete game. Marlins still up by 2, but the Mets are threatening in the 8th inning.

3:38 pm: Marlins leading by 2 going to the 9th inning. 3 outs away from the Brewers being in the playoffs. Unbelievable. I've already jumped around my house three separate times; I want to do it one more time. Go Marlins!!!!!

3:44 pm: If I was voting for the NL Cy Young award, I would give it to CC Sabathia. But I'm not exactly objective.

4:05 pm: The Marlins beat the Mets!!! The Marlins beat the Mets!!! The Marlins beat the Mets!!! The Brewers are going to the playoffs....unbelievable. A great sports day.

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Zimmerman couldn't let go of Wisconsin's bonehead second half loss to celebrate as much as he would have liked. Congrats to all fans who have teams in the playoffs.

    ReplyDelete