
Ah....9:50am and I just got out of the shower after getting up 30 min. ago and going to bed 11 hours before that. 11 hours of sleep, yes read it and weep. I am now on Christmas break and plan on enjoying many nights of > 9 hours of sleep. Something happens to me the minute school lets out for Christmas, my body just crashes and wants to sleep and lay on the couch A LOT. Anyway, on to the point of this post. I am going to tell a school story so here it goes....
The last couple of days I have been giving final exams in my classes at school. A few days prior to the final exam I give all of my students a take home final/review that really helps them study for the final. I also stress that this review is worth 10% of the final exam grade, so get it done!!! It is only a completion grade so it is easy to get those points. Most of my students finished and turned the review assignment in, but a few didn't quite get it done. Some of those kids are lazy, going to fail anyway, didn't really need the points to earn the grade they want in my class. But, one of my students who didn't turn in her review is notorious for turning around to get a paper out of her bag and then never looking for it because she forgot what she was doing. So I went and asked her about it while she was working on her final and she said, "I did it, but it is not with me. I have a really good reason, but I don't want to talk to you about it with other students around. I'll talk to you after class."
After class came and up to my desk came the student. This is what she said. "So, I really enjoyed the review assignment. I think it helped me a lot. I did the whole thing and it really helped me a lot. It was great that you gave it to us. But, the thing is I left it at home. I was using it in an art project and I really need it for that." I didn't even know how to respond. I think I just smiled and said, "Have a great Christmas break!"
That's amazing. Students never use MY homework in art projects. I'm pretty sure it ends up with brown streaks in toilets.
ReplyDeleteMy students don't even do their homework...at least she used it for something or made up a great lie about it!
ReplyDelete