Friday, April 3, 2009

Pennyrile Approved: Cottage Cheese


With so much uncertainty going on these days with how food is prepared, along with a lack of trust for food distributors, combined with so much advice on what to eat or not to eat, society is longing for a voice of truth to rally above the noise.  We here at Pennyrile like to eat and we like to give advice.  So we'll start a new food series with a tribute to one of the must underrated delicacies known to humanity.  

Cottage cheese is a cheese curd product that is not aged or colored.  It can be eaten by itself or with fruit, on toast, in salads, or part of other recipes as lasagna or desserts.  My preference for cottage cheese is by itself in the small curd variety, but I have nothing against the large curd style.  According to Wikipedia, cottage cheese "is a favorite food among bodybuilders for its high content of casein protein while being relatively low in fat."  So delicious and healthy.

For those of you who enjoy milk and cheese, you will find cottage cheese to be the perfect mix of the two in terms of taste and texture.  Some mornings, I enjoy cottage cheese with a glass of orange juice for my breakfast.  On occasion, I'll sneak in a snack of cottage cheese about an hour before dinner.  I've even been known to wake up in the middle of the night and slurp some cottage cheese!  (OK, that last sentence isn't true).

If you haven't had cottage cheese recently, give it another chance.  Let the curds and whey soothe your appetite.  Throw in some fruit to spice it up.  Share it with a friend.  Tell your neighbors about it.  Cottage cheese is officially.....Pennyrile Approved. 

3 comments:

  1. I love cottage cheese! My sister used to mix it with ketchup to make it pink when I was little. Why pink food was appetizing, I have no idea, but it was good. I usually eat it plain but I like to add the occasional squirt of ketchup to spice things up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I like cottage cheese. I think the look of it turns me off. Honestly, I don't know if I've ever tried it. Maybe I just need to stop over one day and try a spoonful so I don't end up wasting a big container and end up still hating it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE cottage cheese!

    My Great Grandma Mildred (who was married to my Grandpa Ray, my namesake) said she hated cottage cheese because it looked like the stuff they fed the chickens and refused to eat it. This is like 100 years ago (literally) when my family raised other livestock than beef. Well fast-forward to the 1970s, 80s, and 90s and my mom had this awesome dilly bread recipe that called for cottage cheese, and my Great Grandma LOVED the bread. So nobody ever told her that it contained cottage cheese and she raved about it every time my mom made it! She died when I was in 9th grade, but we still talk about it :)

    ReplyDelete